Friday, January 06, 2006

A Happy New Year To You All!
Akemashite Omedeto Gozaimasu!!

Hope you all had a great winter holidays! Now I'm happy to be back again.

This photo shows "kagami-mochi" my daughter created at her day-care just before the New Year's Eve. "Kagami-mochi" is something we Japanese displays in the room during New Year's Days. Mochi is "cake made of boiled rice" according to my dictionary. Kinda hard to explain... Anyway, this represents Japanese Oshogatu (New Year's days).

Since this one is made by a three-year-old, it's a bit ugly shaped. Ha ha ha!! But she did a great job as a 3 yrs old!!


The real one looks like this. We buy from a store which is already decorated like this way. We have a history of doing this for over a thousand years. Interesting?

10 comments:

nico said...

hi kumi! haha your daughters mochi is kinda abstract mochi compared to the real one BUT since she is only 3 its like a really expensive art work!
i remember mochi ice cream were these balls of ice cream wrapped in a sticky kind of rice flour wrapper...i wonder if it was japanese???

Handmade Girl said...

Jade's mochi is cute! My friend's mother used to make these beautiful mochi for their family's Shinto shrines, and they had gold and ribbons and all kinds of pretty things on them.

hello natacha said...

I think you should have a special photo album for Jade's mochi. Each year you put a pic of Jade and a pic of her mochi of the year. She'll be happy to look at it when she grows-up :)

Kumi said...

Hey, Nicole.
Yap, she's just 3 yrs old!!
I heard that all kids did enjoy creating their own "mochi" out of it!!
Kids can be really creative, you know.

I think I know which ice cream you're talking about.
It was in a box, wasn't it?
If so, that was Japanese one and it's still popular here in Japan!!

Kumi said...

Hi, handmade girl!
Thanks for your sweet compliments!
The mochi your friend's mom made was the real one, for sure!!
Did you have a chance to taste it?
I LOVE mochi a lot!!

Kumi said...

Salut, Natacha!
Wow, that's an awesome idea to make an album with her creation!!
She'll love it when she grows up!
Umm, we should do that from now on!
Thanks for your great hint!

nico said...

yes! they come in a box. i havent seen those ice creams in ages...my brother and I really liked those when we were living in Manila (hot weather!)...

isnt it funny how one thing from a certain culture gets all over the world (like mochi ice cream- meanwhile not knowing what really is mochi)

Kumi said...

Hi, Nicole.
Oh, then I know the ice cream you were talking about, and I just bought it yesterday from the nearest convenience store, Lawson.
I really like it a lot!!

Anonymous said...

I love mochi!

I bouht some sakura mochi at the local Japanese grocery. It's nt the right seasonfor sakura mochi, but I wanted to try that kind anyways.

Kumi said...

Hi, Alexa.
Oh, you like mochi, too?
Me too!!
And you have Sakura-Mochi at your place?
Cool!